The path to the modern workplace in a zigzag course
Online Whiteboard - The latest in digital collaboration tools
6 reasons why an online whiteboard should be implemented early as a tool for the modern workplace
What are the reasons to start with an online whiteboard as early as possible on the way to a modern workplace?
- With a new video conferencing solution, you may see and hear each other better, but this does not yet change online collaboration. With the online whiteboard, new working methods are directly enabled.
- The whiteboard addresses the core elements of collaboration, namely how information is shared. On the whiteboard, information is shared visually, which is much more effective than just the spoken word.
Example: When a task is worded in text, it is quickly read over. If a task is communicated verbally, it is easily forgotten. If a task is on a digital post-it, it is most likely to get done.
- It is almost impossible to conduct a workshop at a distance without a shared whiteboard/facilitation board where participants can collaborate. Therefore, the online whiteboard enables digital workshops, which would not be feasible without it.
- Online meetings, retrospectives and team meetings benefit immediately from the introduction of an online whiteboard, as the sharing of information is visual and people can participate without speaking. This is a great advantage especially for introverted participants and for intercultural teams. People can participate more easily and are more involved.
- With the whiteboard approach, complexity can be visualised easily. It is easier to overview issues once they are presented in an appealing way. This reduces complexity and makes the whiteboard the optimal solution for planning further digitisation projects.
- The digitisation of collaboration on the whiteboard is not abstract, but visual, tangible for everyone. Small hurdles, low complexity and quick access mean that digitisation gets into people's heads.
Using an online whiteboard improves collaboration quickly, but unfortunately often not just like that. In the end, the phrase "A fool with a tool is still a fool" remains valid. The introduction of a modern whiteboard collaboration solution requires training. You need the people in the company who know how to use the whiteboard and can use it to facilitate workshops and meetings. The knowledge of new modern collaboration methods needs to be built up and shared.
This article and the statements it contains are based on numerous customer projects in which we have been able to observe precisely these positive effects through the use of the online whiteboard.
If you would like to find out for yourself how an online whiteboard fits into your strategy for the modern workplace, please feel free to contact us.